Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Post #5- It's all about patience (March 2, 2016)


Exactly one month ago on February 2nd I left for a whirlwind interview in Chicago.  I didn't have a clue of what to expect when I got there; I certainly didn't expect my pants to fall down in a room full of 50 people!

Initially we were told, by people who had been through the experience, that one finds out the results within three days and maybe up to a week.  However, the only people who found out anything at around the two week mark were those who were told "no".  Those people did not get to move forward in the process and I kept waiting.  The rule was no news is good news.  That was often hard to swallow!

Waiting is not my thing.  Around the three week mark I was sent a somewhat ambiguous e-mail that insinuated that I was moving forward but it wasn't official because the Abu Dhabi Education Council was still making their final decisions and working on their offer letters.

It was REALLY hard to wait and pass up other opportunities; holding out for the one that I wanted the most.  Two days ago I started getting messages that I needed to do this and do that, and go ahead and move forward as if I were already offered the job.  I had a moment of, "What am I doing?  Moving so blindly through this process with no idea of what was at the end."

Today I had a super busy day in my classroom.  I was collecting writing assignments, conferencing with students, going over project grades, etc.  It was busy, busy, busy.  As the day was passing by I kept hearing my phone ding in my purse, during the first and second blocks, and I never found the time to go check it.  Every other day I get a planning period during the third block and I finally grabbed my purse and sat down at my desk and checked my personal e-mail because this was my lucky day to have a little quiet moment.

Lo and behold there it was, in the subject line, "ADEC- Offer Letter".  

Now, there is going to be a lot of more waiting.  I have many things to accomplish.  Such as:  I need to keep getting my kids ready for their tests and for their junior year, I have to tell my journalism kids I am leaving (I hope to be the one to do that and no one gives it away), get my husband his passport, wait for my authenticated papers to be delivered to me, lots of wedding details to iron out for Janae (I have to order myself a dress by May), packing, moving our things to Florida, and the list goes on.

From this point on I will be giving details of dealing with the process and paperwork needed to make sure I get to leave for the U.A.E. in August.  I will also be sharing my research and decision making, and this is for others who are behind me and possibly working on a January or August 2017 start, so for friends and family it may be boring but I will let you know when I get back to sharing our new and exciting adventure.


Here is a map of where I will be going and the three main areas where teachers are placed.  However, we do not find out until after we arrive and sometimes it takes a week or two for them to place us in a school and to give us a key to our housing.



Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, and Al Gharbia.  A lot of people, especially single people, hope to get placed in Abu Dhabi City area.  We personally are going with the flow and do not have a preference.  There are pros and cons for everything.  Abu Dhabi provides more but the Al Gharbia western region has much of the same just not so much city--more opportunities to save money to buy that Florida house.    I will do research on each area and share what I know as I go along.  Al Ain is kind of a country feel but a close drive to the city.  I have heard lots of good things about Madinat Zayed--who knows?  I won't be able to tell you until I know at the very last minute.  Look at those two island areas!  What is that all about?  I am so curious!

Thank you for all of your support reading about my overseas adventure being an English Medium teacher (more about that later).

Dr. Shannon Rennaker, educator

7 comments:

  1. Packing Moving & Storage Services . We are professional relocation & removals service provider for all kinds of moving and packing in Abu Dhabi & Dubai, UAE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you trying to get a free US address to get delivered your packages from USA? Shop and ship US online stores with Global Shopaholics, we will receive your packages at our warehouse and ship to your country, your home address. International shipping USA doesn’t have to be a complex and expensive deal, we make the process of international shipping smooth for you. https://globalshopaholics.com/register

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movers in Abu Dhabi
    https://www.wemovers.ae/
    Professional Movers in Abu Dhabi #1 Moving companies in Abu Dhabi Offers Budget Moving Services Abu Dhabi Professional Movers Award Winner Offers Urgent Movers in Abu Dhabi.
    1632890522356-7

    ReplyDelete