Thursday, March 10, 2016

Post #7- Researching and getting ready/ Interesting news about the U.A.E.'s weather   (March 10, 2016)


I have spent the last couple of days doing research to answer the following questions:
The Teacher Tech page will be the answer to everything you need to know!

  • What will I do about cell phone service?  So far the research says that as part of my orientation I will be given a U.A.E. sim card.  They pay for cell service more by "pay by the minute" or month by month.  I am still working out the details.  I have learned that T-Mobile will work over there.  And I have found hints that AT&T has something going on but I still need to call them (that is who I currently have a contract with).  Some of my research says that people buy phones with two sim slots so they can use both of their numbers.  I am hoping to use the phone I have and not buy a new one (mine is relatively new and I love it- iPhone 6 plus).  When I get everything absolutely squared away I will share for those who are using this as a resource to go to the U.A.E.
  • Although we initially said, "Hey, we will just read more books and watch less television." My husband and I both chickened out of that idea and started researching ways to take our Netflix or use our Amazon Prime (which we love).  We need a little noise in the background!  We started reading about VPN's, and special apps, and had nightmares of terrible cable (that we cannot understand).  Luckily I can share this.... ask to join the Teacher Tech page after you get your offer letter.  I cannot tell you exactly WHAT is on it, I can just say it will have all of the answers.  How do I prepare my laptop?  What is a VPN and how do I get one?  How do I set up my television.  And more!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/teachertech/  
  • Recently I was online with a lot of teachers who are like me and just accepted their offer letter and were doing research.  We have a couple of places to chat with others who are already over there.  I accidentally met someone I knew through another person (which was pretty neat) and mentioned that school was cancelled due to freak rain storms (in the desert).  Evidently there was crazy flooding and a lot had to be shut down (teachers got a four day weekend).  Then I found this article:
Evidently, the rain was man-made!  Read about it.

Dr. Shannon Rennaker, educator


No comments:

Post a Comment